Monday, February 18, 2008

Frusterated

I am so frusterated with seeing people own a horse just to own a horse, and let it rot in a pen somewhere where it's not properly cared for. I would LOVE to take a horse from someone like that and show it what good life can really be. Unfortunately, most of these "owners" want thousands of dollars for their "prize" horse, when it's barely halterbroke.
I just hate that I can't affoard to buy a horse at the moment, but could most definitely take care of costs other than the initial multi thousand-dollar cost. It's extremely frusterating.
Thing is, it's not just being around horses... I was the manager of a dude ranch and had my pick of 40+ horses to ride whenever I wanted. I am currently training a horse for someone else, and it's great, but just not the same as having a horse that is truely "mine."

Some people have no idea how to treat horses - only letting them out of their box stall for a couple of hours at a time, or not at all, not catering to the horse's basic medical needs, hell some of them don't even know what to feed their horses. Overgrown feet, standing in their own filth... it is disgusting.

1 comment:

Jackie B said...

This is one of my biggest frustrations too! I don't know why people think keeping horses as pets are like having dogs or cats. They are much higher maintenance and require a lot more special knowledge.

I'm in the same place; can't afford my own horse but have some to ride for friends. It's nice to still have horses to work with, but it's not the same as having your own.